People of foreign nationality must obtain a Residence Permit issued by the Bureau of Foreign Residence Registration at the provincial Directorate of Security in order to reside in Turkey for a definite period of time.

  • Students must make individual applications to the Bureau of Foreign Residence Registration at the provincial Directorate of Security within one month after registering on their university programme obtain a ‘Student Residence Permit’ and submit it to the ‘Student Affairs Directorate’.
  • Due to the fact that students who do not submit their residence permit to the Student Affairs Office in allotted time can not be covered by state insurance within the given time limit and their foreign ID number can not be validated, an administrative fine of subsistence wage is applied on their insurance premiums by item of Law No. 5510.
  • If they wish to renew or extend their residence permit during their academic programme, the students may obtain a new one from local police authorities on condition that they confirm that they are to continue their academic programme fifteen days after the expiration of period of their existing residence permits.
  • In the event of a loss of residence permit, the new one must be taken within fifteen days by immediately applying to the appropriate authorities. If not renewed, penalty fees are added to the payment received from foreign students in violation of visa and residence conditions in accordance with Law No. 492.
  • In the event of a change of residence address, they must notify the local security authorities of both the place they leave and the place they move to within 48 hours.
  • “Residence permit for study purposes” is cancelled in the cases of expulsion from school, suspension of registration, leave of absence, being arrested or convicted of a crime.
  • Foreign students who have graduated are required to leave the country within fifteen days following their graduation or they should extend the duration of their residence permit for any other purpose within the framework of general applications.
  • In accordance with the law No. 4817 “Law on Work Permits of Foreigners”, foreign students holding a residence permit for study purposes are allowed to work.
  • Students themselves are responsible for carrying out procedures related to residence permit and meeting all the costs which may be involved in this process.